Monday, October 24, 2011

Meeting Martha Washington


Yesterday I posed with Martha Washington! She looked fantastic despite her years. We chatted and connected; the decades and history that separated our lives notwithstanding. Woman to woman we talked. It was just a brief conversation, but enough that I realized that down through the centuries woman are moment makers, memory makers, bound in a timeless sisterhood.

She showed the group I was touring with how to pour tea, how the women of “her” day did it. I still like to brew a slow cup and share it with a friend. I’m not sure I do it as gracefully as Mrs. Washington, but still the moments shared over a cuppa are just as special as in the days of old. A lot of wonderful news and advice is given and taken during tea times with friends--was then and is now.



As I stood looking at her, elegant and a little whimsical in her puffy colonial head cover, I realized she must think about and worry about many of the same things I do. Certainly, she was thrust daily into the whirling, changing, tension-filled stream of politics. Did George come home and bang his fist on the table during dinner as he made point after point regarding the governing of this newly formed nation? Did Martha’s responses help to shape the United States as we now know it? Goodness knows we have had a few fist pounding dinners regarding current events and the running of modern day America in our home. What about family? Certainly there were concerns about the children’s health and education; such concerns are still foremost in my heart in regard to my children and grandchildren. I imagine we even share some of the same challenges as overseers of our own businesses, the Washington’s with their plantation and farming, Bob and I with our roofing business. Yes, politics, family, health, education, business, and finances, not a lot has changed really.



Happily, during the tour we were reminded that joyful occasions also punctuated the colonial days. Martha threw and attended balls and birthday celebrations. There were intimate dinners with friends and family, and more formal and elaborate state dinners. Like many women, Martha was a memory maker, someone who made moments matter for those around her, no doubt. I would dare say many memories were made on the Mount Vernon grounds. I loved the slow genteel dancing we enjoyed learning in the ball room yesterday at Gadsby’s Tavern. It made me think of good times, fun times, friend times I’ve enjoyed hosting over the years, and I found another common bond with this great lady.

Finally, the family Bibles and personal Bibles displayed throughout the homes we toured reminded me that most likely, Martha and I shared a similar faith. There was a great calm about Mrs. Washington, she had a peaceful countenance. I know my faith has brought me through many storms calmly and peacefully. So we shared yet another link.



I am thankful for yesterday’s encounter with Martha Washington. I was reminded of the important role women have in making moments and memories that matter. It made me hopeful, that if history is any indicator, my daughters and granddaughters will be moment and memory makers long after I’ve poured my last cup of tea.


2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much I would have loved the be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have loved it! And we would have loved to have you with us.

    ReplyDelete