Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Not An Expert but . . .


I am blessed to have several friends who are best-selling authors, other friends who are accomplished musicians, some friends who can make incredibly beautiful pieces to wear and enjoy with fabric or yarn, and those who are truly remarkable artists. Although I am not an expert in any of these areas, I have self-published a children’s book that I wrote and illustrated, play the piano and sing well enough to enjoy it and so it’s not too painful for others to hear, can crochet and knit enough to make some things for my grandchildren, and I have had some good experiences with a paint brush and canvas. The point is, I have found that I don’t have to be an expert in order to try or enjoy any of these endeavors.

For many years, I wanted to put the myth I wrote and told my daughters when they were little, down on paper. Once my granddaughters were born I really wanted it to be passed down, at least in the family. Encouraged by my daughters, I drew and painted illustrations for the text and decided to make sure it was in book form for my girls and my grandchildren. Now, “The Moon, The Star, and the Firefly” http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/1152367 is a story shared in almost 200 homes around the world. Friends and family have enjoyed it and I have loved having a tiny author experience as a result. It’s not a best-seller, but it has been fun to receive letters from classes of children who have read the book. It amazes me that children in Australia, France, Germany, and Malaysia have seen and enjoyed the story. Best of all my own grandchildren have sat on my lap while I’ve read it and turned the pages with them. I’m so glad that not being an expert (or knowing anything about writing or illustrating) kept me from putting my story and illustrations into book form.

That experience has been repeated in the other areas I’ve mentioned above. Not being an expert doesn’t keep me from banging out music on the piano, crocheting little sweaters, hats and mittens, or painting from time to time. The joy is more in the doing than in the final outcome. I love playing the piano after dinner, usually Bob lies on the couch and listens or sings along quietly and it’s relaxing. Likewise, knitting and crocheting is almost therapeutic. Of course I love to finish a project, but I do stick to simple patterns so I can enjoy the process as much as the product. As far as painting, I just love playing with color, so time alone with a canvas and brush, or sitting at the table with my grandchildren coloring can bring equal satisfaction.

All this to say, I try not to let fear of failure keep me from venturing out and learning or doing something that seems beyond me. Most recently I bought a sewing machine . . . I’m not even sure I’ll be able to thread it successfully, but I’m going to try. Big or small there are so many things to sample and do, and it’s those things that keep life fresh for me. As C.S. Lewis said, “You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream.” So, go for it my friends, and let me know what you are exploring, I’d love to share your adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment