Saturday, October 29, 2011

Let it Snow!


Every once in a while something happens that reminds me that I’m REALLY not in control. Sometimes it’s a big event, like getting cancer. Other times, it’s something tiny, like searching frantically for something I’ve lost and suddenly finding it right under my nose. Often the memory jog is something very ordinary, like unexpectedly running into just the right person at just the right time. And then there are days like today, when it’s something out of the ordinary, like snow in October. I checked it’s not really ordinary to have snow in October in the Washington, D.C. area; as a matter of fact it hasn’t happen for 32 years, not since 1979.

I know I’m not REALLY in control, because I would never have allowed it to snow today. For one thing, many months have gone into planning the Fall Festival at our church. It’s a big, happy, wonderful, festival that fills our church parking lot. There’s music, face painting, a moon bounce, free lunch, lots of game booths and candy. Best of all we meet people from our church neighborhood who don’t attend our services. We get to know them and they get to know us. But the Lord had a different plan today; the Fall Festival had to all be moved into our fellowship hall. It was still a big, happy, wonderful festival, but it meant a lot of rearranging, alternate planning and no moon bounce.

Driving in snow today certainly wasn’t on my agenda! I don’t have winter tires on my car, Bob and I had to play car shuffle so I could have the vehicle that “likes” slippery roads. Getting new tires for winter was supposed to happen BEFORE the first snowfall, oops! God had a different time table.

Snow would not have been in my plans today because the fall palette has just started peaking here. I was looking forward to enjoying another week or two of red, orange, yellow, pink and gold splashed across the wooded areas around our house. I thought I would spend some time outdoors today enjoying this beautiful fall canvas. But the Master Artist closed the exhibit. I haven’t spent any time outdoors today, except to run from my car into various destinations trying to stay warm and dry.

Washington D.C is a very important city full of very important people, people who run the country and influence the world. People who think they are in control, but like me, they REALLY aren’t. I’ve seen three feet of snow shut this city down for several days. I think the One who controls the elements likes to remind us every once in while (believer and non-believer) who’s in control.

It’s good I’m not REALLY in control. Without snow today my church family wouldn’t have had the opportunity to grow and learn through a challenge. I’m proud of them; they did a terrific job rolling with the Lord’s change of plans. If big white fluffy flakes hadn’t fallen today we might have put off getting new tires until an even bigger winter event blew in. God’s unexpected snowy display was a good reminder to get moving on a time sensitive project. If leaf padded pathways and colorful bowers had beckoned me outdoors I wouldn’t have spent a lovely afternoon with my husband and daughter exploring fine food and beverage at a new to us restaurant.

I don’t know what profound plans God alters when He plans an out of the ordinary event. Probably the big wigs in Washington aren’t even aware of His intervention from time to time. I do know that if my warm house, cozy fire and desire to stay put on a snowy night had not prevailed I would have missed the best part of my day. A surprise visit from our youngest grand daughter and her mommy and daddy tonight wouldn’t have happened. The visit was brief, but kissing that sleepy cheek, inhaling her sweet baby perfume, and holding her close for those few minutes made me glad I wasn’t in control. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I am so glad I am not in control. :) Beautiful snowy pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sooo much Heather. So glad you are keeping up with me here. I appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious photos friend... but... snow? Hoping it hold out till Christmas eve here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't had any since Jenn, but it was a fun one in October.

    ReplyDelete