Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bone Tired!


Whew! I am bone tired this evening. I can’t remember being bone tired for a very long time. It’s not the kind of tired when I feel sleepy and just need a quick power nap, or the kind when my mind needs a rest, it’s the tired that comes from really wearing oneself out physically. It is the tired that goes deep . . . all the way to the bones! I have to say, every once in while I think it’s good to feel this spent.

A couple of days ago, for some reason, I decided it was time to tackle the storage room in the basement. It’s that big project that I’ve mulled for a while, found excuses to avoid, and tried to ignore every time I went down to do a load of laundry. But that storage room kept eyeing me up and daring me to take it on. Well, I finally took the bait and went in after it; shirt sleeves rolled up and ready to get dirty. Two days later there are three piles, huge piles, bigger than I realized piles. The “keep and restore” pile, the “give to charity” pile, and the “nobody else would even remotely want this, throw it in the trash” pile. AND, I’m only half way through the room.

My mother was inspirational in many ways. She taught by example. The last big thing she taught me was: don’t leave this earth until you’ve cleaned the junk out of the house. She had truly emptied her storage room, closets, cabinets, and drawers. The only things in the house were things she and my father were actually USING! Given some of the stories I’ve heard this isn’t necessarily the norm, especially if things have been contentious between family members. Leaving the junk for the kids to deal with, is in some cases, pay back. I’m determined to bow to my mother’s wisdom; loving my kids the way I do, this would have been a terrible parting “gift”.

Even though I’m really tired, I’m feeling pretty good. Every time I put another item in one of the piles I get this great feeling. I haven’t lost a pound, but I am starting to feel lighter. The giveaway and throw away piles especially increase the spring in my step. All that stuff has been weighing me down. Just like a hot air balloon that rises higher when the pilot throws ballast overboard, I’m starting to soar.

I’m determined to finish the job! I’m going to lick that storage room. I’m going to feel great, my kids are going to thank me and I really don’t have a choice, the trash pile is right in front of the washer and dryer and I’m running out of underwear!!!


2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring- and hilarious :) I am now going to tackle my basement storage room, thanks to you! With that weight off of my mind, I will be freed up to be more present in the every day moments that matter. Love this blog! Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Sarah Go! That is terrific!!!! I'm loving it and actually an added bonus is the walk down memory lane I'm having as I unpack some things I haven't seen since we moved from our old house 25 years ago. Yup, there was one box that had never gotten unpacked!!!! thanks for commenting here, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete