Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Joy of Listening


Last night I got a REALLY important phone call. It wasn’t important like some I’ve had. Not like those letting me know someone I love is ill, or needs immediate assistance of some kind. Not the kind telling me I’m going to be a grandmother in nine months or that a grandchild is on the way and it’s time to head to the hospital. No, it wasn’t THAT kind of important phone call, but it was FROM someone very important about a very monumental moment in her life! Katie lost a tooth!!!

Katie is my very precious six-year-old granddaughter. For over a month, one of her front top teeth has refused to budge! It has wiggle and waggled, moved to the center of her mouth, and given her a funny crooked smile, but it has held its ground. Last night, after several attempts, by several people, that old tooth finally lost the battle and out it came.

Now I realize that losing a tooth, even one as stubborn as this one, is a common everyday occurrence. The tooth fairy visits homes probably every night trading tender for teeth. But what might NOT be such an everyday occurrence, is a grandmother who is blessed to get the call from an excited granddaughter describing this event in a happy, lispy voice. These kinds of calls are moments that matter. I don’t take them for granted, I cherish them and remember them and I’m thankful that my granddaughters want to share special moments with me.

What makes these calls so important? They are a reflection of the relationships I’m forging with this younger generation. I’m glad they want to share with me, laugh with me, lisp with me!!!! And sometimes, cry with me, like recently when I received a phone call telling me a beloved pet had died. When I pause to reflect after the phone call is over, I am awed that these sweet little girls think of me during their important moments. I know I am blessed!

Grand parenting is one of the greatest joys I have ever experienced. There seems to be more time to focus and listen to these little ones. With my daughters, I was always juggling so many things while trying to hear every word they were sharing; now, their mother is the juggler. Grandparents have the great privilege of listening, questioning, taking an extra minute to admire and encourage. I did try to focus and listen with my own children. I see my daughters trying to do that with their children, but somehow, it’s different and less hurried now. This unhurriedness is a gift, this time to be a listener is an unexpected treasure I have discovered these last nine years as a Grammie.

When I taught communication skills to Reach to Recovery volunteers, the most emphasized part of the lesson was active listening. This isn’t my forte! I’m a talker (yes I’m the first to admit it). But I think that I’m learning how to listen to my family and friends more often and better now that I’m older. Whether or not I’m succeeding, I do know this: every word my grandchildren share with me is a gem, I don’t want to miss a one, and I want a treasure chest full of them.

So that was indeed, a very important phone call last night, Katie lost her tooth . . . and she wanted Grammie to know about it! A Turkish proverb says, "If speaking is silver, then listening is gold." This grammie is hoping for lots of future golden moments that matter.


Before and after I love them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment