Sunday, December 18, 2011

Igniting the Christmas Spirit


One of my favorite things to do this time of year is to sit evenings, with nothing but the Christmas tree lights on, and listen to the beautiful music of the season. Right now, the tree is presiding over a host of presents. The packages are green, red, and gold and shimmer in the Christmas tree lights. I buy and wrap lots of presents each year for our family. Mostly they are for the grandchildren. I love the look on their faces when they see the bounty under the tree—it’s that “bit of Christmas magic” look that fades a bit as we get older. I’ve been told by their mothers that this overabundance must not continue, so I’m thinking the area beneath the tree might not look so full next year. But for now, I’m enjoying the beautiful tree and presents under it. The amazing thing is the one gift I enjoyed wrapping the most this Christmas isn’t under MY tree. I don’t even know who will be receiving it, except that she is a ten year old who asked only for one pair of jeans from Santa.
This year our church decorated a lovely Christmas tree with gold lights, big red bows, and paper ornaments. Each paper ornament had the name, age, and gift request of a child in our area whose family is struggling financially. These ornaments have been plucked from the tree and members of Church of the Atonement have been busy buying and wrapping gifts to fulfill these children’s hopes for special presents. Many of the requests are typical childhood wishes: “girl, age 6, wishes for a Christmas Barbie”, “boy, age 9, wishes for a skateboard”, and so on. But some of these wishes, like the one I chose to buy for, speak to a more basic need: “girl, age 10, wishes for jeans, size 14, not slim”. Somehow, that strikes a very deep chord in me; knowing that the child whose ornament I picked asked for clothing rather than a toy, sobered me.

Despite all the Christmas decorations, special music, and holiday hustle and bustle, it was purchasing and wrapping this one particular gift that ignited the Christmas Spirit in my heart this year. Because she asked for so little I loaded the gift with a few extras—a second pair of jeans, some sweaters and shirts and a few fun items—and really tried to make the wrapping and bow look especially special. I prayed, while I wrapped, for this ten year old girl that I would never meet and for her family. As usual, I realized that it was me who was blessed, not the one receiving the gift, as it lifted me up to do this small act of service. I was reminded of that first Christmas when God sent the most perfect gift, His Son, to meet OUR basic need, the need to fill the God-shaped hole in our hearts, the need for salvation. I was also reminded how lavish that gift was. He loaded the package with some extra’s, wonderful things like grace, peace that passes understanding, mercy, and love—lots of love.
If you haven’t yet found the spark to light your Holiday season this year, may I recommend finding someone who could use a little extra help and meeting part of their needs. You will be amazed how it will warm your heart and light up your spirit. I’m looking forward to all the fun with my family, especially my little granddaughters who will enjoy opening a pile of gifts from under our tree. The laughing and oohing and ahhing will be one of the best parts of our celebration. However, I know that Christmas morning I’ll be thinking about a little ten year girl (who wears a size 14 jean, not slim), and praying that she’ll feel God’s love poured out in a box from a stranger. And isn’t that what Christmas is about, God’s great love? Joy to the World, the Lord has come!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sweet friend, amen. I will always remember one year when my parents taught we daughters something like this, just being able to bless someone, without them knowing who it was from, and how that forever changed my idea of giving. They had heard through various grapevines of 3 different families who were struggling going into the holidays, and decided secretly, to buy each family all the trimmings for a full holiday meal, pack those items in a couple of bags, and then we parked a little ways from their house, my dad snuck up to their door, rang the bell, left the packages, and ran. We waited just long enough to make sure someone opened the door, and then we drove away. I don't remember these families, I'm not even sure I knew who they were, and I certainly don't remember what I got that year, but I will always remember how my parents gave, just in the name of Jesus and in the name of love. I'm so blessed to have been raised but such great examples, and influenced along the way by people like you! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that is so great, thanks for sharing that Meg. I will say, I really almost didn't write this particular blog, since like you said, we want to to the giving with out anyone knowing about it, but then I thought that I would share my feelings in the hopes that maybe someone else would catch the spirit of it that way. I'm praying there will be a lot of wonderful Christmas blessings for everyone this year. Especially for those who aren't expecting any.

    ReplyDelete