Sunday, November 13, 2011

Shattered!


Bob with the broom, ready to start the clean up!


I wanted to start this entry out with, “It was a dark and stormy night,” but that would be a lie. This past Friday was actually a beautiful, clear, moonlit autumn night, with a little chill in the air, and the smell of wood smoke drifting through the neighborhood. I was sitting in my favorite chair, knitting and listening to a relaxing CD, fire in the fireplace. Bob was snoozing on the couch near me. It was about midnight. BAM! BAM! I raised my head; my knitting needles went still, no longer clicking rhythmically in my hands. What in the world had made that huge sound outside? It sounded like a car accident, but we live on a quiet street. I heard nothing more out of the ordinary, just the soft final notes of the CD and then silence. I waited, strained to hear any unusual noise, and then chalked the earlier sounds up to a neighbor putting out late night trash. I finished the row I was knitting and headed up to bed.

Teeth brushed, face washed, and into those cold sheets. This time of year it’s always a little jolting getting nestled in for the night, but it was only a few minutes before I had drifted off to sleep. DING DONG! Was that the door bell? I glanced toward the bedside alarm clock, the numerals glowed 1:00AM. DING DONG! Bob was getting out of the bed; I was getting an adrenalin rush. Who would be at the door this time of night? I held my breath.

“Who is it?” I asked.

“It’s a cop,” said Bob.

I heard him put the key in the door and greet the officer. I grabbed my bathrobe and headed downstairs just in time to hear him tell Bob that someone had bashed the driver’s side window out of our daughter’s and son-in-law’s car in front of our house. I thought back to the loud noise I had heard just before midnight. Now we were all up, coats and sweaters over pajamas, and out to survey the damage. The glass on the road shimmered in the officers flashlight, the window was gone, completely shattered! The only thing missing was Jean’s prescription sunglasses; they were in a case that looked somewhat like a wallet. What a disappointment for those responsible to open the case and not find the valuables they had hoped for. The good news was, another victim in the neighborhood had seen them breaking and entering his car, had called the police with the vehicle description, and they had been caught.

So much for a quiet, restful night, the window wasn’t the only thing that was shattered. We swept up glass, listened while Jean and Josh talked to the officer and called their insurance company, and had a soothing cup of hot chocolate. One by one everyone drifted back to bed; everything done that could be done until morning. I sat, wide awake in my chair. It was quiet again. My mind was filled with the events of the last hour. First of all I was struck by how something like this could happen in our safe little corner of the world. My sense of security wasn’t quite the same as it had been an hour ago. The officer had been wonderful and reassuring, but he had come after the fact. I was also indignant, and surprised at how annoyed and irritated I was by the whole incident. I wanted to tell the perpetrators how many ways something like this impacts a person’s life: the time lost on phone calls and clean up, the temporary loss of a vehicle and all the adjustments necessary to manage without it, and the loss of security all swirled around in my head. Add loss of sleep to the list and I wasn’t a very happy camper!

Now that we are two days out from that eventful night I’m a bit more rested. I realize it could have been worse—it was a window, not a loved one. I realize there really isn’t anywhere 100% safe in the world, and our little corner still has a pretty good track record. Most of all I realize my security comes from a higher authority than the Rockville City Police, as fine as they are! As I get into bed tonight I’m going to remember these words from Psalm 4:8, “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.” I’m feeling better having had a perspective reality check and I’m wishing all of us sweet dreams . . . just as soon as the sheets warm up!!!!!

City of Rockville's finest to the rescue!

3 comments:

  1. I had a break-in at the Wheaton Metro garage. The results were a little different.

    Metro Transit will not respond to property damage incidents. If they do they have to log the case and it affects their metrics. Since they want Metro to look safe, they refuse to file reports.

    Montgomery County does not like to report to Metro garages. I got them to come anyway. They were excellent and the insurance company took care of everything, albeit with a few hassles.

    An incident like this go beyond the mere damage. Your sense of security and your privacy have been violated. You have to wonder what the perpetrator did while they were rifling through your car.

    The bottom line as far as cars go is to leave nothing in view that could be attractive. A GPS mount indicates a GPS may be hidden somewhere. A handicapped tag is always of value. A book in a binder can look like a purse. The less is on view the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on all accounts. We were so surprised because the glasses were the only thing in the car. But they were quick in and out we think. Glad it's only the window. Make sure to leave your name at the end of your posts so I can respond to you personally my friend, would love to know who you are my fellow victim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry the kids had to incur the expense of a new window and the extreme inconvenience of having it replaced. Praising God that it wasn't more... and wasn't worse...

    ReplyDelete