Monday, November 7, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T




This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.
William Lyon Phelps

The other day I was in the grocery store checkout line. I watched as the customer two in front of me stood by while the checker scanned and bagged her groceries. There was no eye contact, no exchange of words, as a matter of fact, the customer was chatting away on her cell phone. The cashier did her work well and efficiently, the customer ran her credit card quickly through the card machine, pocketed her receipt, grabbed her groceries and walked away still on her phone, not even a thank you. The gentleman in front of me stepped up to checkout and I watched as the scenario repeated itself, although he was making notes on his iPhone, not actually chatting on it. He did manage to mumble a thank you as he turned and walked away. It was as if the cashier had become part of the machinery instead of a living, breathing human being.

My turn came to checkout. I looked across the counter. My cashier’s nametag read “Earlene” in big red letters.

“Hi Earlene” I said.

Our eyes met.

“Hi”.

“Is that a picture of your little one on the charm on your bracelet?” I asked.

Bingo, the “machine” turned human. A smile that went ear to ear lit up her beautiful face.

“Why yes it is!”

Those words started an amazing conversation that included child-rearing, crazy parents at little league games, the problems with the economy, and how to turn the Redskins’ losing streak around. If it had taken a few more minutes to finish ringing up my grocery order, I think we might have been able to straighten out the problems up on Capitol Hill.

Earlene bagged the last few items and came around the end of the counter with my receipt and cart. I smiled and put up my hand to high five her. Our hands smacked.

“Thanks Earlene, not only have I finished my grocery shopping, but we’ve also solved most of the world’s problems.” I laughed.

“See you soon, have a great day,” she said as she waved and returned to her station.

The next customer was too busy with her baby to notice the busy hands scanning and bagging her order or even acknowledge the smile Earlene had flashed her. Earlene’s smile dissipated and the machine-like, efficient, faceless cashier returned. It made me realize how little it takes to make a moment matter for someone. It also made me realize how easy it is to live in a bubble, to not connect with those around me.

It takes a lot of people to make my world “work”. There’s my mail carrier, Henry (yes, I know his name and I know he likes to travel with two of his nephews since he doesn’t have kids of his own). There’s my UPS guy—love when the brown truck pulls up with a package! I don’t know his name, but when we see each other at the neighborhood Starbucks he always says, “Hey there 1808 (my address number)” and we chat a minute. When I visit my bank, my teller and I manage, even through the glass window and car exhaust at the drive-thru, to smile and catch up for a few seconds. I try to thank my garbage collectors, the people who service my lawn, and the “angels” who clean my house once a month. It’s called respect. It’s called decency. It’s called community. But, perhaps most importantly, it’s called loving your neighbor.

I know that I can get caught up in my own little world. It’s easy to forget how many people make my life easier, and how blessed I am by many people in many places. Many of these people I don’t know personally, some I’m starting to know little by little as I pass through their checkout line or collect my mail. They are not just part of the machinery, they are not faceless, nor are their lives meaningless. Each one of them has a story, each one of them is part of my story. I think living in community makes life so much nicer, and honestly there are some amazing people out there. Take Earlene, she’s got a winning smile, can-do spirit, great ideas, and an admirable work ethic; sounds perfect, I’m thinking someone like her could shake things up a bit in 2012. Earlene for President, it’s got a nice ring to it! You never know who’s bagging your groceries!


12 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more, and it's lifestyle evangelism. It's also the "Pay-it-forward" mentality.And you never know who else is watching whose day or life you may be impacting (ever seen that commercial for some insurance company that features this? One person does a good deed, another person watching it then does 1, then another, etc.) How beautiful is that? I could tell you of some stories about the impact random acts of kindness have had, too. People have come up to me and said how special it was to see someone (me) expressing appreciation for something relatively inconspicuous, like a bus driver's safe driving, etc. I don't ALWAYS manage to do this, but it is undoubtably the way Jesus would want us to be acting. I think you should also write a follow-on blog entry about giving people the benefit of the doubt, another one of the staples of Christian living, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Peggy, our faith is useless unless it's a living faith. Umm, I like your comment about giving people the benefit of the doubt, it's easy to become skeptical in these days, I'd rather look for the good and risk being wrong than to judge wrongly and cause some kind of hurt. Great things to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sisters! Being on the other side of that story too, working retail for so many years, I know how much either a great or horrible customer encounter can make or break your day. Keep up the magic, Bobby; your infectious smile and energy has already changed the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Meg, thank you. I too have been on the other side of the register, my first job was in an old, established department store her in Maryland. It can make for a long day when customers forget the sales person is a human being. Love you! Thanks for reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbie, I just want to say I love you! Mom says that you and I are a lot alike, and it is apparently true. I do my best to always say hello, smile at everyone, give a compliment, or just simply be courteous and respectful to everyone to treat them like the people and individual that they are. I am really glad to hear about someone else doing the same, cause unfortunately that seems to be really kind of rare. You are an absolute joy and privilege and definitely a blessing to everyone you meet. Keep on being the wonderful you that God made you! Love you! Emily Kiraly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Emily for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to stop by and read the blog. I want you to know that I don't always react or act the way I should, but it is something I strive for. I think the blog entry was a good reminder for me too. Love you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of this post... My mailman is Bruce. He has 2 kids. He loves Jesus. His youngest just left for college. He loves chocolate so I leave him little gifts in the mailbox.

    My trash guy is Mike. He has a hard time making his rounds on time, but always has a wave and a smile.

    All of the ladies at the bank know how many hours I black Friday shopped, how the kids are doing, how soccer or basketball practice is going and ask about my husband using his name.

    We CAN make a difference and DO make a difference in people's lives. If only we invest a little bit of time, thought and heart.

    Thank you for sharing your heart Bobbie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a woman after my own heart Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Almost 20 years my husband and I lived in NJ and were trying to have children. For me, this required frequent trips to the doctor, disappointment and lots of prescription meds. The same pharmacist, Jenn, sold me many failed pregnancy test kits. Lots of time, meds and prayers, and we ended up with two son 22 months apart. They are now almost 17 & 19. This entry reminded me of our move from Brick, NJ to Rockville, MD in 1995. I made a point of visiting that pharmacist before we left to say goodbye and thank her for the many kind words she shared during our season of trials. People are what matter, and if we can't even get off our cell phone, we don't know the angels we miss in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said, wish I knew who wrote this so I could answer more personally, feel free to always leave your name at the end of the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bobbie, this is Sue and I wrote the earlier post about leaving NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Sue, you said that so well. You are a blessing every where you go, I know that. :)

    ReplyDelete