Monday, March 12, 2012

Take Two Aspirin And Call Me In The Morning


I hate being sick!!!! I’m now through a full three weeks of not feeling well. My brain is fuzzy, my ears are stopped up and making me feel like I’m living under water and my energy level is zip. I’ve seen the doctor, I’ve made sure to get plenty of fluids, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I just have to wait it out now. I’ve also come to the conclusion that no matter how old I get, I still want my mommy when I’m sick. Since my sweet mother has been gone for almost seven years now, I can’t literally see her, but I can still draw on things she taught me and I can still hear her voice giving me advice.

I’m sure, were she here, mom would be telling me, it’s okay to sit back, rest and let the world slide by for a bit. After all, she would remind me, it’s going to keep turning with or without you. Humbling words for someone who loves to feel needed, but true words. Life does go on whether I have my hand in all the pots or not. True rest, is more than just sleeping and sitting quietly, it’s acknowledging the need to kick back and relax physically AND mentally, and giving myself permission to do that. So, here’s a toast to true rest and relaxation.

Mom would also remind me that this is not the end of the world and there are many other people dealing with worse illnesses and problems. In other words, she’d probably tell me to stop whining! She’d be right, I have many friends dealing with very serious illnesses, and some friends dealing with illnesses and conditions that cause them pain and suffering every day with no promise of healing in sight. It’s a great reminder that I don’t have far to look before finding someone whose situation is much worse than mine. It’s also a great reminder to start counting my blessings. That said, my mom would be calling, fussing and worrying over me every day until I was well again.

Finally, just about the time I started feeling like I was never going to feel “normal” again (which is right about now), mom would recount some other time I had felt just the same way and then returned to health. She would become my encourager and that would lift my spirits and get me through another day. Moms really are the best cheerleaders; no one has EVER cheered me on (or up) like my mom.

So, with all that said, I’m just going to rest and watch as the world keeps turning, count my blessings (while I pop a cough drop or two), and remember not to take my health for granted once I've shaken this off. Thanks mom for all the great advice, I’m snuggling down now under the old gray quilt you made and wishing we could have one more cup of tea together.


2 comments:

  1. Some how I missed this post as well... My guess is that it might have been right around the same season in which we were just recovering from one of those terrible life changing diseases. I am glad that you recovered and got some rest... But hindsight, I am wondering is there is a theme here considering you are slowed down to a stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely had some time for reflection.:)

    ReplyDelete