Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Right Place at the Right Time


Yesterday I woke up to blue skies, pink cherry blossoms, sunshine and gusty March breezes. It was the perfect day for getting a lot of things done around the house (like several mountains of laundry that had piled up during my recent illness) and running some errands. I had my mind full of all that needed to be accomplished and I was looking forward to checking things off the list. I love feeling on top of—and in control of—things. My daughter Jean called goodbye to me as she headed out the door to work, and then it was quiet. I finished up the e-mail I was working on, pushed “send” and then heard the door open. In a flash I realized my day had changed, just that fast, as Jean came up the stairs, tears streaming down her face, having just received shocking and tragic news about a friend.

The piles of laundry faded into oblivion as I folded her in my arms. We talked, we remembered her friend, we marveled that the sun was still shining, the world was still turning, that everything was still the same and yet not. I sat watching my sweet daughter working through grief and silently thanked the Lord for allowing me to be there with her. I realized, once again, that life is fragile and every moment counts. I also was forced to acknowledge a lesson I have been slow in learning: I am most certainly NOT in control.

Yesterday wasn’t the day I had planned, and I’m so glad. It was a day filled with moments that mattered, a day where I was at just the right place, at just the right time, for someone I love. We talked, we had lunch out, we shopped to distract ourselves from the pain, it was a very different day than either of us had expected.

Abraham Lincoln has authored many of my favorite quotes. He shared this thought, “It’s not the years in your life that count; it’s the life in your years.” I heartily agree with wise Abe, we must make our life count, make a difference every day in some small way if we can. I’m hoping I can learn to joyfully and consistently choose compassion over control and love over lists.

The laundry still isn’t done. I had a surprise visit from my sweet little granddaughter Nora today, and who’s going to choose piles of dirty clothes over hugs and kisses from a five year old princess. Not me. I’ll do the laundry tomorrow . . . maybe!



Me and my wonderful daughter Jean.


Sweet little Nora wearing the bunny mask she made at school today.

4 comments:

  1. Big love and hugs to Jean. And Bobbie, you've always grabbed those important moments, I know I was lucky to share a few one summer with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great summer, I'd do it all over again with all of you guys if I could. Can't wait to "meet" this new little one of yours. Praying you are doing well there honey. Thanks for keeping up with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness... Prayers for all who are grieving over the loss of a loved one. Time indeed is so very precious. Making every moment matter should be a priority to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, always make "I love you " the last words uttered when saying good bye!

    ReplyDelete