Monday, May 7, 2012

My New Book, Holding A Story In My Hands!


Yesterday I had some very special moments.  After years of thinking about, writing, and most recently illustrating a second children’s book, the first print copy arrived on my doorstep.  You might think that was the special moment, but it wasn’t.  I brought the package in, the wrapping was torn off and I sat down holding the book in my hands.  Still, this was not the special moment.  The special moment happened next when my three oldest granddaughters, who were visiting, came and sat by me, and the first reading of the book occurred. 

To have a book idea and pictures floating around in one’s head is fun, but to have that idea on real pages in one’s hand is amazing.  There is just something so satisfying about looking at words and illustrations in a way that can be shared, in print, in color, alive so to speak.  I’m actually thankful that I had over two weeks down time with my broken foot to work on the book. And, I’m very grateful to my friend, Chuck Wasson , for sharing a wonderful iPad application, called Paper53, which allowed me to create the drawings and “paintings” without any mess while couch bound.

My little ones seemed to love the moment too.  The ones who can read each took a turn reading the book aloud to all of us.  My little Nora was able to finish the rhyming words on each page after just a few times listening, she felt like she was “ reading”.  It really was a wonderful moment. It was the moment for which my children’s books have been written, the moment I share the stories with my little ones.


I am also excited to share, “If I Only Had A Penny” with you.  Here is a link to the book, you may preview it, and if you would like an autographed copy let me know and I will send it to you.  If you don’t want it autographed you can purchase it directly from the website. http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/3189737   If you purchase from me the prices are slightly less as I buy multiple copies.  Sadly self-published works are expensive, I don't make any profit, but my goal is simply to get the story out there.  Think of the hard cover book as six trips to Starbucks (and you’ll always have the book, whereas the coffee will be gone once you drain the cup) and the soft cover book is the cost of a few less cups of Joe.

Please check it out and let me know what you think of my new “baby”.  I'd give a penny for your thoughts!

P.S.  Here is the link to my first book, "The Moon, The Star, and The Firefly" if you haven't seen that one yet, also available through me or the website.  http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/1152367


No comments:

Post a Comment