Monday, April 2, 2012

36 Years and Still Going Strong



April 3, 1976, I married the love of my life, Bob, a laid back, good looking guy with long brown curly hair, a quick smile, a gentle demeanor, and a servant’s heart. We were young, I was 21, he was 23, and we were excited to set up our new home and enjoy life to the fullest. April 3, 2012, I’m still married to the love of my life, Bob, a less laid back, good looking guy with wavy silver hair, a quick smile, gentle demeanor and servant’s heart. We are not so young anymore, but we love our home (the one that’s not so new where we raised our kids) and we still try to enjoy life to the fullest. In honor of these wonderful years together I thought I would post 36 reasons why I would marry my beloved all over again. Hope you enjoy . . .
1. He is funny, after all these years he still makes me laugh.
2. Jeannie
3. Ellie
4. Stephanie
5. He leads our family with a strong faith.
6. He has healing hands.
7. He can really put a great meal on the table, his fresh salmon in wine is fantastic.
8. I love the way he brings me coffee and breakfast in bed weekends.
9. I would have lived with him in a shack, but didn’t have to because he’s a great provider.
10. He can turn an ordinary yard into a beautiful retreat, and he has!
11. He likes to go to the theater with me.
12. Let’s face it, there are advantages to having a husband who is a massage therapist.
13. He never leaves the house in the morning without kissing me.
14. The strong, opinionated women in our family don’t intimidate him.
15. He’s never worn shorts with black knee socks and sandals.
16. Animals like him.
17. He reads people well, much better than me.
18. He loves his family and friends and is there for all of us, always.
19. Despite all my flaws he likes me just the way I am (most of the time).
20. He’s smart.
21. Most of the time he defers to me in the area of home décor, trust me that’s a GOOD thing.
22. It’s nice to share memories with him.
23. To know him is to love him.
24. He runs our business honestly and with great integrity and his dad would be so proud.
25. I loved my mother and father-in-law, they were wonderful people.
26. Can’t think of ANYONE I would rather raise children with or share the joy of grand parenting with.
27. I still get excited when I know he’s on his way home from work.
28. Wouldn’t want to face any medical challenge without him by my side, he’s seen me through some difficult times and made the going easier for me in every case.
29. He’s a very generous person, with his time and his money.
30. He doesn’t snore loudly.
31. Artistically he has a lot of talent in many areas, music and photography to name a couple, and he’s willing to share that talent.
32. Even when the going gets tough, he keeps on going.
33. He’s learned to watch football with me.
34. We are comfortable riding quietly or spending an evening side by side with few words.
35. My life is so much better for having him in it.
36. I love him more each day than the day before.
Happy 36th wedding anniversary Bob, I love you the most, here’s to many more happy years!

10 comments:

  1. You know you're one of my favorite couples, Bobbie and Bob! Thank you for sharing this with us; in these days where marriage is under attack on so many fronts, it's a blessing to see people purposing to love and honor each other. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you so much Jean, we are so blessed, wonderful friends and family truly have made our years together even richer. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and I love both of you, Bobbie. It is such a privilege to have known you since 1983? Wow! Starting with my first year of teaching Kindergarten with the first of your 3 daughters,Jeanne. I was so anxious to do it well and you were the most involved parent ever who was supportive and caring and loving not just with your children but with all of the children in the classroom and even me, as their teacher! You are both such loving parents that it is no wonder that your girls and their families are the same way and love to spend so much time with you. Thank you for giving me the privilege to be your friend. I hope that you both have an incredible anniversary. The best is yet to come!!! Carol Schantz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, you were the best ever Kindergarten teacher. So thankful for you in our lives. Sending love and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really sweet Aunt Bobbie! Very Happy for you! Oldest Neice Krissy (or am I) I don't know what a profile is. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes you are my oldest niece and I love you. Thanks for reading the blog honey. Look forward to seeing you at the wedding soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very sweet. Brent and I have been married 34 years this June, having wed in 1978. We were 20 and 21--too young to be served a drink on our honeymoon!

    --Anne Morse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anne, we were both legal . . . just barely :) Thanks for stopping by the blog, it means a lot from a writer like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear friend,
    36 wonderful reasons and hoping you are able to add and add and add to that list as many years go by. Bob and Bobbie.....S & W . No doubt about it:-)
    We are indeed blessed.
    (If you ever start to run short of reasons , remember: white socks and sandals don’t look so good either.)
    Love Merrilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must include the white socks and sandals as #37 next April 3. Thanks for keeping up here. Love you.

    ReplyDelete