Friday, April 13, 2012

Helping Hands!


“I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.” ~William Penn

In the last week, I’ve gone from a wonderful two day getaway with my husband to eight straight days lying on the couch or bed with a broken foot. One minute I was running out the front door, the next minute I was lying in a heap on the front porch, having tripped over a poorly placed pair of sneakers. Life is just so unpredictable. Needless to say, with doctor’s orders to keep my foot elevated and not bear ANY weight on it, or face possible surgery, I’m doing my best to closely adhere to doctor’s orders and behave myself.

It might take a village to raise a child, but I’ve decided it also takes a village to care for a couch bound, middle-aged woman with a broken foot. Many hands have made these last eight days so much easier. I’ve been overwhelmed by the kindness of so many. The first hands that came to my aid were my daughter Ellie’s. I was literally lifted to my feet and practically carried to the doctor’s office by those strong, sure, and gentle hands of hers. Those same hands enfolded mine when I burst in to tears upon hearing surgery might be necessary, and continued to clasp mine until Ellie had prayed with me and peace once again reigned in my heart. Ellie’s hands are especially experienced when it comes to dealing with crutches and boot casts, as she was down with a broken foot herself two years ago; I’ve appreciated all her tips.

Of course Bob’s hands have prepared meals, done laundry, carried my crutches up and down the steps (while I lifted myself up or down step by step on my derriere), made sure everything was within arm’s reach before leaving for work, helped me in and out of the bathtub, (as have Ellie’s) and gently massaged all the other places that let me know the fall hadn’t just injured my foot.

Jean has been there over and over to care for me, and she has delivered several lovely breakfasts in bed to me, her loving hands have ministered in many ways. Steph has called every day, and kept me busy with lively conversation and daily skype sessions with little Aubree. My older granddaughters little hands have all made me cards and called to check on Grammie. My sister Becky and niece Evelyn stepped in to babysit for Aubree and have kept me posted on all her latest antics, so thankful for their willing hands caring for her in my absence while her mom works. Despite working full time, my other sisters have made sure to check in daily and monitor my progress.

Friend’s hands have prepared meals, written and sent lovely cards, and filled my Facebook wall with best wishes and promises of prayers. Neighbor’s hands have brought yummy treats and I’ve enjoyed their visits. My pastor has visited and lifted praying hands on my behalf. I’ve been overwhelmed with all the love and support, all the loving hands that have carried me through when I start to get discouraged.

I am so thankful for my “village”. It’s been a blessing. I am looking forward to being on the giving end of life once more, but in the meantime, thank you all for giving me a hand up.



2 comments:

  1. My sweet friend,
    One of the things I adore the most is your heart and how you are ever so thankful for the small moments in life. I am so glad that you have many hands to help you up. May the Lord bless you and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jenn
    I am very blessed.

    ReplyDelete