Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sparking Passion




I recently read a quote that made me stop and think about my life, where I was headed, what was moving me day by day. It wasn’t attributed to anyone, the author was “unknown”, but I think “unknown” said it well with these words, “When work, commitment, and pleasure all become one and you reach that deep well where passion lives, nothing is impossible.” Passion, that’s the word that really struck me. What is the thing that I am the most passionate about, who are people I know who are driven by their passions, and what does it mean to be passionate about something? With the New Year beginning, reading that quote highlighted my need to define my passion and let it drive and direct my every step.

I love to be around people who are passionate about what they do, their faith, their ministry, their calling, their profession, their art or life’s mission. Typically, these people radiate a contagious excitement. Sometimes it just takes a small spark, one word in a lengthy conversation to ignite their passion and out it spills, words, emotions, and excitement taking the dialogue to a whole new level. I find it even more exciting when two or more people discover, quite unexpectedly, a shared passion—it’s electric!

This morning I was blessed to share a cup of coffee and some conversation with a friend who does missionary work in different large inner cities on the East coast. John has a quiet, calm demeanor, and a kind of laid-back easy way about him; however, there was a transformation that took place today when he shared his ministry. This quiet guy became animated, excited, and energized when discussing his passion for bridge building between people of faith and those who have no faith, between those who have and those who live without, between black and white, rich and poor, inner city dwellers and suburbanites.

I also have a friend from high school who has worked with special needs children most of her adult life. We have reconnected through Facebook. Joan’s Facebook wall is filled with the things that drive her: first and foremost her love and commitment for expanding horizons and creating new opportunities for these special needs children and their families, and secondly her passion for animal welfare. She uses her Facebook page as a platform for her passions.

John and Joan both inspire me to embrace my passions and look for opportunities to share them.

In my past I’ve been passionate about, all things frogs, teapots (which now line the walls of my dining room) and kaleidoscopes, however, most people who know me realize very quickly that my faith is what I’m most passionate about. It’s what drives me and makes me who I am. I’m glad that is a passion that spills out into all the other areas of my life. So if you want to see me get excited, then mention the Lord Jesus—it will ignite a spark in me! He is what drives my life and my desire to live, love, forgive, and serve like Him. I know that there will be times in the coming year when I will be tired and my energy will wane. During those dry times I will need to let my passion for Christ drive me to rekindle my fire through time in the Word, fellowship with others who share my faith, and the strength of the Lord. For me, that’s what it means to be passionate about something: having the drive to continue moving forward when the next step seems impossible. All this to say, thank you to all the passionate people in my life, you inspire me!

3 comments:

  1. Thank YOU Bobbie, for inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks. By the way, feel free to sign your name at the end of the post so I know who to respond to:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu truly are a bright spark
    Merrilyn

    ReplyDelete